Wednesday, July 28, 2010

your definition of love, in great detail

So I totally failed at the challenge thing but I felt the need to write on this specific topic, because I was set off about something I read and it has been on my mind for a while, especially with everything that has been going on in my life this summer.

dictionary.com defines love as this:

"–noun
1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
3. sexual passion or desire.
4. a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
5. (used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love?
6. a love affair; an intensely amorous incident; amour.
7. sexual intercourse; copulation.
8. ( initial capital letter ) a personification of sexual affection, as Eros or Cupid.
9. affectionate concern for the well-being of others: the love of one's neighbor.
10. strong predilection, enthusiasm, or liking for anything: her love of books.
11. the object or thing so liked: The theater was her great love.
12. the benevolent affection of god for His creatures, or the reverent affection due from them to God.
13. Chiefly Tennis . a score of zero; nothing.
14. a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter L.
–verb (used with object)
15. to have love or affection for: All her pupils love her.
16. to have a profoundly tender, passionate affection for (another person).
17. to have a strong liking for; take great pleasure in: to love music.
18. to need or require; benefit greatly from: Plants love sunlight.
19. to embrace and kiss (someone), as a lover.
20. to have sexual intercourse with.
–verb (used without object)
21. to have love or affection for another person; be in love.
—Verb phrase
22. love up, to hug and cuddle: She loves him up every chance she gets.
—Idioms
23. for love,
a. out of affection or liking; for pleasure.
b. without compensation; gratuitously: He took care of the poor for love.
24. for the love of, in consideration of; for the sake of: For the love of mercy, stop that noise.
25. in love, infused with or feeling deep affection or passion: a youth always in love.
26. in love with, feeling deep affection or passion for (a person, idea, occupation, etc.); enamored of: in love with the girl next door; in love with one's work.
27. make love,
a. to embrace and kiss as lovers.
b. to engage in sexual activity.
28. no love lost, dislike; animosity: There was no love lost between the two brothers."

But I feel like, there's more to "love" than that. Love involves caring, listening, speaking, concern. It involves arguing and resolving, sadness and joy. Love is, being able to fight but knowing it's not going to break up your relationship. Love is learning to be honest with yourself and with whomever you have your relationship with. It's knowing when to say what, and when not to. Love is learning to forgive. Love teaches you, molds you, shapes you, breaks you, but then makes you whole. Love isn't just romance, it isn't just physical, it's everything. Love never gives up on you, because even when you feel like all hope is lost, it is still there. Love is mutual respect and mutual understanding. As cliche as it sounds, I believe that love does conquer all. I believe that to truly love someone, both as a significant other and platonically and as a friend, is to love them unconditionally, to have the love between each other grow as we grow as people.

When I was in high school in religion class (yes because I went to Catholic school), the main message was to put God in the center of our lives and our relationships. I find it to be true because by putting God in the center of our lives, we are putting love at the center of our lives because God is love. I was once heartbroken, once was jaded, and I once though I would "never find a special someone" a few years ago. But, I never gave up on love. I never thought bad about it, because it got me through the day. The love came from my family, my friends. Finally, with all that love surrounding me, I found a special someone to be able to share more love and grow more love with. I hear so many heartbroken people saying that love sucks or whatever, but, love never fails. Maybe you failed on love.

I know that things are going to be tough this semester because Charles is going away but I know that I always have to keep the love in my heart and to keep it strong for the both of us. Because I believe in us. I believe in love.